What is Botox?
First, let’s talk about what Botox ISN’T. Botox is not like what you see in movies or the media where someone’s face ends up completely frozen. It is made to reduce movement in particular areas of the face to smooth and prevent wrinkles. In the hands of professionals like those on our team, you end up with a natural, youthful looking face!
What makes muscle relaxers work is the special protein called botulinum toxin which causes temporary paralysis of the muscle. The repeated contraction of the muscle over time is what causes wrinkles and fine lines. Injecting this protein will help the muscle relax revealing that smooth face you desire.
PS. At our office, we only use the brand name products you recognize and trust! (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin each recommended for different areas and slight variation in results)
Brands of Muscle Relaxers
Botox is the most known relaxant due to it being the first to be FDA approved. It was originally used for therapeutic treatments like those listed below. It is commonly used to effectively treat crow’s feet, eleven’s, and frown lines.
Dysport is the most similar to Botox in ingredients; they both contain the botulinum toxin along with other proteins that help its efficiency. It is great for use in larger areas due to more product per unit and its ability to spread easily across injection sites. Dysport is also highly recommended for the forehead specifically because it tends to last longer (5 to 6 months vs Botox lasting 3 to 5). This is also a great option for patients who may have stopped responding to the effects of Botox.
Xeomin is another great muscle relaxer that is considered a “pure” version of the botulinum toxin because it contains no other accessory proteins. This is a great option for those who may be allergic to the other ingredients in Botox and Dysport.
Schedule a consultation to find out what our experts recommend for you!
Typical Areas to Use Muscle Relaxants
- Crows Feet (eye area)
- Elevens (lines in between eyebrows)
- Upper Lip for a natural lip “flip”
- Masseter Botox for facial slimming
- Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Chronic Migraines
- Neck Spasms
Prep and After Care
- Avoid taking aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen, Advil®, Motrin®, Nuprin®, Aleve®, Celebrex®
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior and after the procedure as this can increase the risk for bleeding and bruising at the treated site(s)
- Stay upright – no laying down for 4 hours after treatment
- Avoid exercise that elevates the heart rate, excessive heat, or tanning for 7 days. Do these less frequently for longer lasting results.
- No alcohol for 2 weeks after treatment
When Should I See Results?
It takes up to 14 days for the product to settle in and to see the full results of your Botox injections.
How Long Will Results Last?
You can expect your results to last for around two to five months. This depends on the area treated and the individual. After this time, you can choose to undergo another round of injections to make your results last longer.
It’s important to note that Botox can prevent more wrinkles from forming over time, preserving your youthful appearance!
Click ‘Book Now’ to learn more and secure your consultation!