Cosmelan is the best system on the market for treating melasma and larger patches of discoloration. It is a two-phase treatment system that regulates stubborn hyperpigmentation and sun spots. The first phase is the in-office application of the mask, followed by removal and post care treatment at home. It causes old damaged skin to peel away, revealing fresh, bright skin.
Benefits of Chemical Peels
A standard peeling treatment acts on the surface of the skin by chemically eliminating the top layers and contributing to its renewal. Chemical peels deliver high concentrations of exfoliating acids to the skin to brighten the complexion, even skin tone and to improve the appearance of spots and wrinkles. In the case of patients with dark spots, a peel can help fade the spots but the blemish will appear again if the mechanisms that produce it are not treated.
Why Cosmelan MD?
The cosmelan® method visibly removes and attenuates spots (just like a peel) but it most importantly provides a regulating action as it corrects the overproduction of pigmentation to prevent the spots’ reappearance. While peelings act on the surface of the problem, cosmelan® treatment targets the origin.
- The skin must be super hydrated before the treatment
- Hyaluronic Acid, applied morning and night for 4 weeks before treatment
- To prep the skin we highly advise having a Hydrafacial 2 weeks before the treatment
- Ensure you are applying a broad-spectrum SPF daily
- Consult your provider for an antiviral if you are prone to cold sores
7 days prior to your treatment requirements:
- No vitamin A / retinol
- No physical / chemical exfoliating
- Plenty of hydration minimum 2L p/day
- Plenty of hyaluronic acid and moisture
Day of application & Days 1 – 6 post treatment:
- No sweating
- No makeup
- No exfoliating or picking any peeling skin
- No direct sun
- Minimal heat
- Follow the strict aftercare regime provided by your provider for 6 months post treatment
Day of application (relax, read a book, watch movies, laptop day):
- No sweating
- No going outdoors
- Minimal facial movements
- No touching your face
Your application appointment will be first up in the morning, as you will have to wear the Cosmelan 1 mask at home for 6-10 hours (your therapist will write the time to remove it on your aftercare sheet).
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Recent sunburn
- Allergies to any of the components of the formulation
- Treatment with topical or oral prescription strength acne medication in the past 6 months
- Hydroquinone use in the past 3 months on the face
- Active bacterial, viral, fungal or herpes infection
- Autoimmune disease and / or chronic imbalances affecting the skin
- Recent chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy (doctor’s clearance will be required)
- Recent skin surgery
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring
- Open or partly open wounds
Expected Side Effects:
- Swelling and moderate redness
- Peeling/flaking of the full face
- Stinging and hot sensation
- Tightness and moderate discomfort
If you are interested in other peels, please set a consultation to see how else to improve your skin tone and texture. We often add new products to our practice.